Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Reprise...by Popular Requests.


Thirty years ago as a new wife, awaiting her first baby in her new home, I was attracted to a "Twelve Days Of Christmas" wall hanging I saw in a magazine ( Better Homes and Gardens?) Anyway, with all kinds of time on my hands I made one for our new home.
I didn't realize what a fond, childhood memory it had become before my now grown children, looking through the small mountain of Christmas Past photos I put out every year commented on how they loved it and "Where is it now?" There were howls when I said I had long ago sold it in a garage sale or donated it to Goodwill. I made a mental note that this might be a good idea for future Christmas gifting for the kids. ( These creative thoughts most often burst brightly in my noggin and then evaporate or common sense and reality remind me to "GET REAL!")
But...four weeks of THE flu and couch recovery time late this fall gave me plenty of time on my hands to take the plunge. I found an old photo of the original hanging on the wall in our first home and Steve blew it up and made a copy. I hand drew patterns for all the figures and details along with some of my own embellishments not in the original. Becky took my order for "a project for the kids" and picked out a variety of felt from Field's and I began cutting. ....and cutting...and cutting!
Thirty years causes one to forget painful circumstances...like labor and delivery. (We called it "natural" and did it totally drug free for our children in those days.) OR cutting 70 gazillion pieces of felt for three wall hangings ( The prerequisite for a child to get one of these is attaching themselves to a spouse...so I still have one on the drawing board. I borrowed my neighbor,Kathy's FIVE Harry Potter videos and along with other television, watched all five TWICE while I worked on these.) I did recall that the original had a felt backing which torqued and didn't hang correctly. I corrected that by gluing the felt pieces to a stiff canvas type fabric AND by inserting 3/4" oak dowels ( thanks, Steve!)in casings top and bottom.
These are big...36" wide by 42" long.
...and...all worth it on Christmas Day when Steve brought them from their hiding place and presented them to the Becky and Derek, Megan and Avery, and Adam and his Caity. Merry Christmas from Mom and Dad!
P.S. MY favorites are the "Eleven Lords A'Leaping"...blue with their little bright red vests and golden crowns akimbo.

6 comments:

  1. aMAZing. I am so blessed by you, Mom. What an heirloom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to find a spot for it next year, and for MY kids to remember the bright dancing felt figures whenever they hear the song. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So awesome Joanne :) Love it!! You did a beautiful job! I always love seeing your works of art :) Happy Early New Year to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it Joanne!!! It's absolutely charming...another example of your exceptional talent combined with great love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey you guys,
    This is hardly going on a mission trip to Haiti!
    Anyone can do this. I am working on a pattern with instructions to prove it.
    but thanks for the love!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. it was the most BEAUTIFUL, thoughtful, perfect gift...many memories will be built around your amazing creation! THANK YOU a thousand times over! i love you! :)

    ReplyDelete