Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Things Are Not What They Seem


It's been a not so bad winter here. Actually, we've had more peeks at the sun and full sunshine than in recent winters. I have felt little of the claustrophobic sense of wanting to somehow propel myself upward, out of the clouds and into the blue skies above. Maybe I was actually successful in etching the impression of sunshine onto my retinas during those eleven glorious, Southern California days last month.

What do you see in this photo of my front garden? Monotone...snow and icicles?

Everytime I drive up to the house or go outside to let the dogs out or head to the mailbox, I am "seeing" something vastly different.

Late last summer my dear friend, Donna took the tangled overgrown mess of my "cottage garden"; at least what the moles and rabbits had left of it,and convinced me that I needed a space more Fibromyalgia "user friendly".( It pays to know a Landscape Designer who is also a Registered Nurse) Over the course of a few days she totally transformed the jumbled confusion of limping perennials into a new delight. She hacked and dug and evicted the out of control "old" and replaced confusion with an orderly, pleasing mix of plants I have never nurtured before.
Donna redrew lines, anchoring a garden bench with a lovely flagstone path. I couldn't get over the immediate changes and last fall would just stand on the front porch doing R.L.H.C.'s ( rapid little hand claps...thanks, Helen!)

But...the best is yet to come! Donna planted all sorts of bulbs....all will be surprises for me in a few months. For thirty years, when fall comes, I have "plant bulbs" on my to do list BUT the "tyranny of the urgent" takes over, as it always does. Spring rolls around and I look at mud left by winter snows instead of tulips, daffodils, and their ilk. I sigh and resolve to do something about it in the fall....and then "groundhogs day" happens, again. Not THIS SPRING!! I can't wait to see what surprises Donna has waiting for me under their temporary blanket of snow!!!

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Donna for the treat of transformation last fall and the delicious anticipation of Spring that has lasted throughout the long, frozen tundra winter!

3 comments:

  1. LOVE your attitude and productivity this winter, and can't wait to see those sweet little surprises pop out of the earth in a few short weeks. What a wonderful gift from your friend! (And let's hold eachother accountable to planting bulbs this fall...remember our trip to Veldheer's for my wedding tulip bulbs?:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this blog Joanne :) This motivates me to plant bulbs this coming year too! When are you visiting Tennessee again we cant wait to see you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joanne, I love this post both for it's literal words and for what I see in it's title, reflecting some of our recent discussions, a deeper, spiritual meaning too. Things aren't exactly what they seem. Like the snow, what we see visibly happening in the physical world, is a covering for what is spiritual and hidden from the human eye.
    On a lighter note...I love your writing and the picture of your snowy garden. And I can't wait to see pics of the flowers in bloom : )

    ReplyDelete