Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Holidays Negotiated...Important lessons learned

Amy Grant in Grand Rapids for a Christmas concert with her husband, Vince Gill, was quoted as saying that she has come to realize that we "negotiate" the holidays. I don't know why I found this terminology so intriguing, but the longer I considered it as related to our holidays this year, the more I found myself embracing that concept.

NEGOTIATE, v., 4. to move through, around, or over in a satisfactory manner: to negotiate a difficult dance step.

Early in October, I saw the clouds forming on the horizon. I admit it. I have considered the holidays as an annual obstacle course. I hold myself responsible to make the holidays everything everyone around me WANTS them to be. THIS year I was determined to not merely survive the season, but to ENJOY it.

I started planning...and baking early. I prioritized and made certain there was time for not only the things expected but also for some special "extracurricular" activities I wanted to make happen. As much as possible, I didn't allow myself to think ahead, but rather planned and worked to accomplish whatever was necessary day by day.
I simplified and only put my favorite Christmas decorations ( Maybe 1/3 of my stash!)
I found ways to prepare foods for big meals ahead of time, ready to slide into ovens, or uncover and serve.

WE NEGOTIATED THE HOLIDAYS!

The Last holiday-ish event, a wonderful wind down cup of coffee and gift exchange with our next door neighbors happened yesterday afternoon...a relaxing hour of catching up and looking ahead.

THESE WERE AFEW OF MY FAVORITE THINGS...

A candlelit Swedish Smorgasbord dinner with two other "Svenska Flickas"...and their husbands ( made a major discovery that a meat market in town with an Italian name is actually owned by SWEDES who make potato sausage just like my Grandmas!)

Decorating and hosting a table at our church's annual Ladies' Christmas Dessert program. It is always a beautiful night of meeting new friends and focusing on God's greatest Gift to us, His Son.

Attending the breathtaking "Imagine" presentation with almost our whole family. The wonder of how it makes me feel like a small child whenever I see it.

A wonderful Grandmothers, Moms, and babies lunch/playdate with all the Fredericks and Campbell women, on a snowy day at Megans.

An overnight road trip to Detroit with Becky, Megan, Adam and Caity. We spent Santa Lucia Day in the IKEA is Canton shopping and eating Swedish meatballs and lingonberry soda.

A quiet Christmas Eve with Christian and Emily here for the evening of dinner and euchre .

Plenty of spontaneous coffee klatches with friends, handcrafting of some Christmas gifts, catching up with old friends in annual Christmas card notes...and watching the wonder of three Grandbabies enjoying Christmas.

WE ARE BLESSED!!!






3 comments:

  1. Man, I wish *I'd* gotten the lingonberry soda! One more lesson of the holidays: DON'T fall for Ikea's authentic swedish root beer! Blech!

    I want you to know that your efforts do not go unnoticed. WE are so blessed by YOU and all that you do to make Christmas beautiful and enjoyable for us all. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was a great Christmas, due SO much to your efforts. How you found time to bake cookies, play hostess, babysit grandbabies and organize Becky's move...it's beyond me! You're an inspiration. And I'll NEVER forget the look on your face as you sampled your Swedish Root Beer. Priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joanne, you always inspire me! I love your beautiful word pictures!

    ReplyDelete